Chanioti - Chalkidiki

Sea and mountain ... combined

Chanioti - Chalkidiki

Chanioti

Tradition says that Chanioti got its name from the first inhabitants that came from the city of Chania in Crete and settled in the area of the old village which is in Kassandra, 2.5 kilometers south of the modern village. The village was moved to its present location after an earthquake in 1036 leveled the town. This is the location of St. George Church.

The area is filled with springs and lush vegetation. Acres of land are covered with pine trees which reach to the shore. The deep blue sea and wonderful beaches of Chanioti attract thousands of visitors each year. The squares and parks are decorated by thousands of local flowers.

Chanioti and the surrounding area offer a vivid day and nightlife. It is about 100km away from Thessaloniki and its international airport.

Kassandra

Kassandra is the westernmost peninsula of Chalkidiki and is practically an island separated from the mainland only by the channel of Potidea.

The north of this peninsula is open farmland, while further south the landscape changes to higher hills covered with lush pine forests.

Along the coastline lie numerous excellent long sandy beaches and popular lively resorts which provide a wide range of facilities and entertainment.

Chalkidiki

Chalkidiki is located in central Macedonia. Its northern border lies near Thesaloniki. While to the east it is washed by the Strymonic Gulf, it’s western border is the Thermaic Gulf and to the south it lies on the Aegean Sea. The most notable geographical feature of Chalkidiki is its three “legs” or peninsulas of Cassandra, Sithonia and Athos.

The name Chalkidiki is derived from the city of Halkis (known today as Halkida, Evia) that colonized it in the 7th and 8th centuries BC.